Night Reign: Forged with Iron
“The circle is life. The circle is death. Join me in the circle and let’s see which one you are.”
Some say that the circle dance was the first form of melee combat developed by the first nations of Falamar. Others say that it was the Summer Wyrm who taught Horan the Solar the circle dance as a means of defeating Ilius during the First Night Reign. Still others believe that it was created by the elves to settle disputes among their kind and humans stole it. Whatever myth you believe, the circle dance is now a dominant and honored fighting style in the realms of Falamar.
The Circle Dance is ritual combat that takes place within a magically created circle. In modern nights of the Night Reign, the Circle Dance is only used in honor duels and tournaments hosted by the League of Circle Dancers. Circle Dancers are trained in the use of both melee weapons and arcane magic, specializing in using their magic with their circle of power. Circle Dancers are highly respected individuals across the world for their skill.
Hit Die: d8
Base Attack Bonus: +3
Skills: Acrobatics 2 ranks, Knowledge (arcane) 4 ranks, Perform (Dance) 2 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (Any weapon)
The Circle dancer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcane) (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magical Device (Cha)
Skill Ranks at each level: 2 + Intelligence modifier
Table: Circle Dancer
|Level||BAB||Fort||Ref||Will||Special||Spells per Day|
|1||+0||+0||+1||+1||Arcane dancer, circle of power, empower circle, dancing style||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|2||+1||+1||+1||+1||Elemental dance||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|3||+2||+1||+2||+2||Empower circle, dancing style||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|4||+3||+1||+2||+2||Life dance||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|5||+3||+2||+3||+3||Empower circle, dancing style||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|6||+4||+2||+3||+3||Speed dance||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|7||+5||+2||+4||+4||Empower circle, dancing style||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|8||+6||+3||+4||+4||Neverending dance||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|9||+6||+3||+5||+5||Empower circle, dancing style||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
|10||+7||+3||+5||+5||Whirlwind dance||+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|
All of the following are class features of the circle dancer prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Circle Dancers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).
Spells Per Day: When a new circle dancer level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in any one arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of circle dancer to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before he became a circle dancer, he must decide to which class he adds each level of circle dancer for the purpose of determining spells per day.
Arcane Dancer: Circle Dancers may combine their levels with the Magus class to determine their total Arcana Pool and caster level.
Circle of Power (Ex): You create a circle of power around you to focus your energy and ability to fight. The Dancer spends one point from their arcane pool to create a circle of power 30 feet in diameter as a swift action. This power remains in effect until you are knocked unconscious or you end the power as a free action. Only one circle of power can be active at a time and a circle lasts until the end of the encounter. If a new circle of power is created, the prior one ends immediately along with any effects that may be associated with it.
Empower Circle (Ex): Once you create a Circle of Power, you may empower that circle with magical attributes to assist you in combat as a swift action which lasts as long as the Circle of Power is in effect or until you change the Empowerment with a swift action. Circle dancers only gain the benefit from this Empowerment while they are within their Circle of Power. This empowerment is not shared with other circle dancers, though another Circle Dancer in the circle can use Empower Circle to gain their own benefits. Choose one Empowerment from the list below. You gain additional empowerments at 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level.
- Circle of Rain: Opponents treat spaces within the Circle of Power as difficult terrain.
- Circle of Fury: The Dancer gains a bonus to weapon damage equal to half their class level.
- Circle of Absolution: The Dancer gains a +4 bonus to concentration checks when casting spells.
- Circle of Divinity: The Dancer gains SR 10 + their Circle Dancer level + their Intelligence modifier.
- Circle of Flames: The Dancer gains a +2 bonus to their Intelligence.
- Circle of the Mountain: The Dancer gains a +4 bonus to their combat maneuver defense.
- Circle of Clouds: The Dancer may shift 5 feet as a free action if they take damage from a melee attack. They may do this only once per round.
- Circle of Wind: The Dancer may move up to 20 feet within their circle without provoking an attack of opportunity a number of times per day equal to their Dancer level.
- Circle of Potence: The Dancer gains a +2 bonus to Strength.
- Circle of the Titan: The Dancer gains DR 5/magic.
Dancing Styles (Su): As part of their training, circle dancers pick up or develop new styles of combat to use inside their Circle of Power. Though these styles benefit from being using with a Circle of Power, the dancing styles may be used outside of a circle. The Dancing Styles are presented in groups based on theme and those themes stack with one another where noted. A Circle dancer is not required to complete a theme before moving onto another one, however, the different themes do not stack with one another. A dancing style is always considered active, though only one may be active at any given time. If they use another style, they lose the benefits of the first style.
- Air Style: The Air Style is a basic fighting form for the Circle Dancer and teaches them specialize in combat maneuvers against their opponents. The Dancer gains a +4 bonus to combat maneuvers with this style.
- Tornado Style: The Tornado Style is the second step of the overall Air Style. With the Tornado Style, you gain the benefits of the Air Style. In addition, on a successful combat maneuver (excluding grapple) or feint, you may make a free attack of opportunity against the target.
- Hurricane Style: The Hurricane Style is the final step of the overall Air Style. With the Hurricane Style, you gain the benefits of the Tornado Style and Air Style. In addition, once per round, you can perform a combat maneuver as a move action. You also gain a +2 bonus to your combat maneuver defense.
- Earth Style: The Earth Style is a basic fighting form for the Circle Dancer and teaches them to fight defensively. The Dancer gains a +1 bonus to their Armor Class and they gain Light Fortification.
- Iron Style: The Iron Style is the second step of the overall Earth Style. With the Iron Style, you gain the benefits of the Earth Style with the exception that the bonus increases to +2. In addition, their Fortification increases to Moderate.
- Diamond Style: The Diamond Style is the final step of the overall Earth Style. With the Diamond Style, you gain the benefits of the Iron Style and Earth Style with the exception that the bonus is now +3 and the Fortification increases to Heavy.
- Fire Style: The Fire Style is a basic fighting form for the Circle Dancer and teaches them to fight using speed to enhance their fighting skills. The Dancer gains +2 to initiative and their effective reach is extended +5 feet with their weapon. This ability does not, however, extend their threat range.
- Firestorm Style: The Firestorm Style is the second step of the overall Fire Style. With the Firestorm Style, you gain the benefits of the Fire Style with the exception that the initiative bonus is increased to +4 and the Dancer now threatens with their extended reached.
- Inferno Style: The Inferno Style is the final step of the overall Fire Style. With the Inferno Style, you gain the benefits of the Firestorm Style and Fire Style with the exception that the initiative bonus improved to +6. In addition, the Dancer may make a dimension door attack against their opponent. The dancer may instantly move 5 feet per Dancer level in any direction and may make a single attack. The target is considered flat-footed against this attack. This action requires a full round action.
- Solar Style: The Solar Style is a basic fighting form for the Circle Dancer and teaches them to fight through a precision attacks. The Dancer receives a +1 to attack rolls per two levels of Circle Dancer (minimum +1) up to a maximum of +5 at 10th level.
- Silver Solar Style: The Silver Solar Style is the second step of the overall Solar Style. With the Silver Solar Style, you gain the benefits of the Solar Style and in addition, you gain the ability to improve the threat range and multiplier for their chosen weapon. With the weapon the Dancer has weapon focus in, its multiplier is increased by one and is also considered keen.
- Golden Solar Style: The Golden Solar Style is the final step of the overall Solar Style. With the Golden Solar Style, you gain the benefits of the Silver Solar Style and Solar Style. In addition, the Dancer gains the ability to sacrifice hit points to deal extra damage. The Dancer may sacrifice 2 hit points to gain +1d6 to their next damage roll per level of Circle Dancer to a maximum of +5d6.
- Water Style: The Water Style is a basic fighting form for the Circle Dancer and teaches them to fight using magic to enhance their fighting skills. As a swift action, the Dancer may sacrifice a spell and funnel that power into themselves, hardening their body. The Dancer may convert a spell to gain a dodge bonus to Armor Class. The dodge bonus to Armor Class is equal to the spell level sacrificed and lasts for a number of rounds equal to their Intelligence modifier.
- Thunderstorm Style: The Thunderstorm Style is the second step of the overall Water Style. With the Thunderstorm Style, you gain the benefits of the Water Style with the addition that the Dancer may convert a spell level, into a bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls as a swift action. The bonus gained to attack and damage is equal to the spell level sacrificed and lasts for a number of rounds equal to their Intelligence modifier.
- Typhoon Style: The Typhoon Style is the final step of the overall Water Style. With the Typhoon Style, you gain the benefits of the Thunderstorm Style and Water Style with the addition that by spending a point from their arcana pool to increase the target of a spell by double. For example, if the spell targets the caster, the Dancer may target themselves and one other adjacent ally. If the spell targets one creature, it now targets two creatures. If the target is an area of effect, increase the area of effect by 50%.
Elemental Dance (Ex): The Dancer may apply elemental damage to their attacks while within their Circle of Power dependent on the Dancing Style they are in. Air is +1d6 electrical damage. Earth is +1d6 sonic damage. Fire is +1d6 fire damage. Solar is +1d6 radiant damage. Water is +1d6 acid damage.
Life Dance (Ex): A Circle Dancer knows that in order to survive, you can’t get hit. But if you do, you need to heal yourself. The Life Dance is an ability in which the Dancer attunes with their weapon, becoming an extension of their own body and soul. When a Dancer strikes and damages an opponent, they may heal a number of hit points equal to the damage dealt, but no more than their prestige class level + Constitution modifier. This can be used a number of times per day equal to their Dancer level + Intelligence modifier.
Speed Dance (Ex): The Dancer has learned to move at exceptional speed and agility. Once per day, the Dancer may activate Celerity which grants the Dancer an extra standard action. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to their Dancer level. This ability does not stack with the Haste spell.
Neverending Dance (Ex): The Dancer creates a deadly barrier along the circle to punish opponents for exiting. By spending a point from their arcana pool, the Dancer creates a barrier within their Circle of Power for a number of rounds equal to their Dancer level as a swift action. When an enemy leaves the circle of power for any reason, you may make a free ranged touch attack against the creature. If successful, the creature takes 1d8 + Intelligence modifier damage and is pulled towards you a number of squares equal to 2 + your Dexterity modifier. If you have Elemental Dance, you may add the damage from that ability to Never Ending Dance. A creature may only be affected by Never Ending Dance once per round.
Whirlwind Dance (Ex): The Dancer becomes a whirlwind of death, zipping by each enemy as they attack. By spending a point from their arcana pool, the Dancer can make an attack against each opponent within their circle at their highest attack bonus as a full action. At the end of their turn, the Dancer may end adjacent to any opponent within their circle that they made an attack against.